Distances:

Sea: 5 Km Castagneto Carducci: 3 Km Bolgheri: 6 Km Donoratico: 4 Km Pharmacy: 4 km Hospital: 12 Km
Wellness: 5 Km Park: 5 Km Livorno: 55 Km Pisa: 75 Km Boarding islands: 47 Km  

The area

A strip of protected land, of artwork, of genuine products and of good food, of antique flavors, of hospitality and tradition.
An antique and immense forest of holms, oak trees and chestnut trees, cover the area; centuries of hard work, patience and consistency, have transformed the dense maze into an extraordinary town of trees and meticulously groomed fields, a direct representation of the refined culture of the land.

The Castagneto country side has provided and continues to provide charm to those who visit it and those who live here. A countless amount of people enjoy documented articles, descriptions, poems and books written since the beginning of our millennium that give praise for its sweetness, the balance between nature and the development of the territory, which shows a human dimension.

The natural harmony of the area has impressed many artists, writers and travelers and has given them much inspiration and has helped create a balanced relationship between nature and the human race.
The castles, the towers and the scattered villages were organized by a religious group in the area, urban centers located at the highest points and meticulously manicured fields surrounding the area, the rural homes and their farms, the dense network of rural roads, the disposition and the development of crops, form the structure of a landscape whose success lies in its high degree of humanization.

olivo pluri-secolare a bolgheri
casa giosuè carducci

Never too hot in the summer, during which the heat is alleviated by cool breezes from the Mediterranean sea, ideal temperatures in the fall and spring which never rise above 10°C, temperatures that rarely fall below five degrees in the winter, abundant rainfall in October, February and March, with infrequent cold winds from the north that rarely change the mild climate of the Etruschi coast, but able to create beautiful changes in nature, for example the olive trees from the Castagneto Carducci country side with enormous trunks greater than 2,5 meters wide and heights that reach 25 meters, present along Cypress Avenue that leads from Saint Guido to Bolgheri.

The roads have little traffic, the town is cute and relaxing, the climate is always mild even during the winter, the trails adequate for professional riders and amateur riders alike, that offer everyone the possibility to ride in the heart of nature in one of the most authentic Maremmas.

The town that lies within the Castagneto Carducci area and the surrounding areas has changed over time with the demand for the vines and the wine it produces, assuming beautiful and extraordinary characteristics. A land with beautiful hills that create luminous panoramic views, with many different colors that change with the vegetation from straw yellow to green to blue. A town that cultivates grapes occupying a large surface area starting from the rolling hills and reaching the sea.
A varied morphology in which Castagneto Carducci is proud, a combination of tourism and winemaking. Merit is also given to the beauty of its towns.

CYPRESS AVENUE

Cypress Avenue measures 4,962 meters with 2,540 cypress trees lining it. The story is very special. The reconstruction of the Via Pisana or Regia, was complete In 1841,which leads to Grosseto. To connect it to the towns and villages, internal roads were built perpendicular to Pisa: one of which was Saint Guido Street. Providing that the maintenance was given to the town of Castagneto which was already remodeled with a new ballast and lateral canals. The Count Guido Alberto thought to beautify both Pisana Avenue and Saint Guido street, with plants suited to swampy places.
The choice was Cypress trees (that weren't Cypress trees but rather poplars that looked like them). Unfortunately the buffaloes liked the soft plants, located on Pisana Avenue on the first stretch of Saint Guido Avenue. It was only when the decision was made to line the lower street with trees did the "cypress trees" start to grow.
On the part of the road that leads to the castle on Saint Guido Avenue, real Cypress trees were planted that weren't eaten by the buffaloes. The result was good (even if the Cypresses do prefer hilly and dry land) and this encouraged them to proceed with the planting: and Cypress Avenue was born, slowly but surely.

il viale dei cipressi che porta a bolgheri
strada del vino bolgheri enoteche
il castello di bolgheri

The first cypress trees were transported with a small ship to Saint Vincent then taken to Saint Guido with the barocci. When Cypress trees arrived from Florence, Pisa, Ripafratta and it was decided to create special nurseries. During the time in which Carducci lived at Bolgheri (1838-1848) despite what was said in the poem "Davanti a San Guido" around the Cypress trees that... "A BOLGHERI ALTI E SCHIETTI VAN DA SAN GUIDO IN DUPLICE FILAR..." ("TO BOLGHERI TALL AND PURE TO SAINT GUIDO IN A DOUBLE ROW "), the road from Saint Guido to the cottages had not yet been completed.

It was only after the famine that this poem arrived and Count Ugolino was required to substitute the majestic century old Olive trees that sat next to the road between the cottages and Bolgheri with "The Maricoccoli", creating Bolgheri Avenue just as Carducci had imagined it in his poems.

THE CASTLE

The castle is located at the end of Cypress Avenue, a short distance from the Saint Antonio's Church. It is a red brick two story building. There is a tower with an arch on the right side of the farm with a row of fruit and flowers that lies on its edge. On the inside sits Count Castagneto's weapon; two loop-holes open from the sides. On the top of the tower sits two light windows that overlap the Gherardesca coat of arms. The upper part is embattled, as is the tower.

The residential building construction is typical of the late Renaissance; the church is medieval, while the bell tower and the cannon are products of the construction changes from the eight-ninth century.
The foundation of the Bolgheri castle dates from the mid-sixth century; previously, it stood in the village of Castlevecchio (Old Castle). The records attest to its existence around the eight century until 1496, when it was destroyed by German soldiers.
In the XVI century, however, besides the church, only the Counts of the Gherardesca resided, probably next to the watch tower. Starting in 1700 the building underwent various alterations, renovations and landscape changes.
A rectangle tombstone on the tower recorded a story of a drastic change on the face of the tower by Count Guido Alberto in 1895.

GRANDMA LUCIA'S CEMETERY

Giosuè Carducci in his poem "Davanti a San Guido" remembers with few words the personage of Grandma Lucia, to which the poet was greatly fond. The "Lady Lucia" died at Bolgheri in 1842 and was buried in the small cemetery where her remains are believed to still rest and where a rock wall hold the words of a poem "From the top of the hill, down to the Cypress trees for the green way, solemn, dressed in black it seemed to me that no one would see Grandma Lucia again.

In the center of Bolgheri, there is also a statue that represents Grandma Lucia created by sculptor Flavio Melani.

porta di ingresso a bolgheri
torre castello di bolgheri
statua di nonna lucia a bolgheri
Contacts Send an email

OLIVETO FONTE DI FOIANO

Loc. Fonte di Foiano, 148
57022 Castagneto Carducci
Livorno - TUSCANY

Tel: +39 0565.766043
Fax: +39 0565.765826

agriturismo@fontedifoiano.it

P.iva 01205180498

facebook page

Name:   Arrival date:
E-mail:   Departure:
Persons:   Request:  
 
Website map    

Home page

Farm holidays

Accommodations

Biking in tuscany

Photos

Rates

Surroundings

How to reach us

Contacts

The farm

italiano

facebook page

 

 

 

Privacy Policy